Brand Launch Of A New Beauty Care Device
At the time Palomar Medical Technologies (the leader in professional anti-aging treatments) was readying their brand launch of the first at-home laser clinically proven to reduce fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes, there was a very large gap between the results that OTC lotions and creams could provide and what could be delivered using professional laser based technology.
Yet at the time, less than 1% of consumers sought out a professional to have anti-aging laser treatments performed. Meanwhile anti-aging lotions and creams were a multi-billion dollar business. Consumers continue to buy each new anti-aging lotion or skin care regimen – hoping beyond reason that this time the results will be different.
Qualitative and quantitative testing informed our vision, positioning, messaging and creative approach. We learned:
- there were strong expectations about performance due to the “halo” effect of Lasiks and dermatologist laser treatments
- that consumers were tired of the OTC topicals shown to be ineffective over the years
- that the look of both packaging and the laser itself makes the PaloVia laser feel like a sophisticated beauty tool
- and that using the laser is a proactive way to “fight” aging (meaning I want to look as good as I feel)
We worked alongside Palomar leadership and Marketing as a true extension of their team every step of the way from developing the brand concept to launching the first ever FDA-cleared in-home laser clinically proven to reduce fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes.
Following our “spend a little…learn a lot” approach, we launched in two phases. First on QVC and through Palovia.com. Second through select high-end retailers, physicians and spas. High-level in-market results include:
- Phase one gross unit sales in excess of forecast (exact figures are confidential)
- Successful phase two sell-in to Nordstrom, Von Maur, Bergdorf Goodman, Bloomingdales, among others
- Distribution in over 100 physician’s offices and spas
- Consumer Qualitative & Quantitative Research
- Competitor and Retail Audits
- Brand Strategy
- Name, Logo, Tagline
- Packaging Structure & Graphics
- Launch Marketing Plan
- Creative Concept
- Launch Campaign
- Website Build & Design
- Sales Collateral & Training Aids
- Retail Displays
- Events/Desksides With Beauty Editors and Influencers
- Social Media Plan & Campaign
“Medical Beauty” Inspiration Boards
Building a brand image that is more medical (centered around the dermatologist) than cosmetic to create a feeling of legitimacy; though end-game is skin and a face that is transformed to look fresher, younger, and more vibrant and beautiful.
Launch Plan & End-to-End Execution
Following our development of marketing plan, we architected the entire end-to-end brand experience: overarching brand look and feel, packaging, e-commerce website, in-store support, print advertising, social media, events, professional materials through to brand guidelines. Based on successful brand launch, we were appointed PaloVia’s agency of record.