There’s a common perception that business strategy is strategic, and brand strategy is marketing-led. But brand strategy is a corporate-level asset. In order for a company to create customer value and to recognize its full market value, both need to be aligned.
- the essence of business strategy is knowing where and how you will win
- developing brand strategy covers much of the same ground
- both are about targeting a customer, resolving problems, defending market position
- brand strategy is therefore just a translating of business strategy
HOW TO ALIGN BRAND AND BUSINESS STRATEGY
In order to realize your full business potential…
- recognize that brand planning is not an offshoot of the marketing function, but rather an extension of business strategy – representing a corporate-wide vision that drives business performance, company culture, customer experience, brand perceptions and relationships
- as a first step to alignment, begin by mapping the basic building blocks of your business model – specifically the revenue generating components (i.e. value proposition, customer segments, channels, customer relationships)
- brand planning should then dovetail with each of the business model components above; translating each one into a purposeful and differentiated promise as the face of your business
- ultimately, a strong brand creates a strong business. A brand strategy which is part of your overall business strategy, is a strategy for growth and success.
- at the end of the day, everyone important to your brand’s success needs to be on board – from the CEO to the most junior people across the organization – believing in the same vision, the same purpose and the same promises
Founded in 1999, Trajectory is the specialist branding and marketing agency partnering with clients across the health + wellness continuum to grow better business. Reach us at 973-292-1400. trajectory4brands.com.