Big insights, ideas and lessons learned can (should) always be found by looking outside our categories.
Case in point for healthcare marketers, here’s a good article from the President and CEO of Heineken on fastcompany.com – How Heineken Discovered Its Niche In An Overcrowded Market.
If you don’t have time to read the article (though you should), here are five very relevant takeaways:
1. To find out what’s happening in the beer (healthcare) market today, you have to look beyond beer (healthcare) to what people are buying and how they make their buying decisions in the market at large. You’ll discover two major forces.
2. One of the forces is the acceleration of innovation and consumers demanding new choices in every part of their lives. The other is that brand overexposure has turned consumers into skeptics and they use technology, including social media, to inform themselves and decide what’s really important to them.
3. To deal with this new reality, find out what really resonates with consumers beyond what you’re selling. In this environment, successful brands stay relevant by building meaningful relationships with their customers. They’ve focused especially on two questions: Who are our consumers and what do they want?
4. Align consumers with the brand by identifying a number of needs a consumer has when he or she is buying an alcoholic beverage (healthcare). For Heineken, consumers fell into two distinct categories. Both were relevant, but one fit perfectly with Heineken USA’s portfolio.
5. In everything we do, says President and CEO Dolf van den Brink, we then strive to carry out our ethos.