Healthcare brand marketers: what is your “10%”?

Screen shot 2014-06-22 at 9.50.37 PM

What is it that makes one healthcare brand stand out more than another?

Let’s assume for a moment that your neighboring healthcare systems and hospitals focus on the same service lines, deliver similar outcomes, possess equal technology prowess and amass the same number of awards.  So beyond the 90% of your business which is similar to others – what’s the 10% that makes your organization unique, gets people to notice and compels them to take action? Which then becomes much more important than the other 90%.

The 10% is about creating a strong and compelling brand that has the power to engage, align and motivate action by tapping into what really matters to customers. Both inside and outside of your organization.  Here are three ideas for making sure your 10% shines:

1. Step Beyond Your Category. No one ever said you need to play by the same rules as everyone else. Look to brands in other categories who broke away, e.g. Swatch, who approached time pieces as fashion statements; Dove, which reframed beauty; Old Spice, who got us to take notice and talk about deodorant; and Citibank, who launched Citibikes and reinforced their community commitment beyond what their words ever could.

2. Find The Big Idea That Defines You.  A big, higher-order idea that stands out from the crowd, reflects customer aspirations and is essential to their lives. Because brands are really about people, not products. About your customers, not your company.

3. Keep Moving. Don’t let your relationships get stale. Just like with our personal relationships, you need to keep evolving, surprising and delighting. Staying different. Delivering value in new and unexpected ways. Remembering that a brand is not a place, it’s a direction.

What’s your 10%?

Eric Brody

Eric Brody is President of Trajectory, a brand consulting and marketing agency specializing in creating momentum for customers, brands and businesses across the related categories of health, wellness and beauty.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *